Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Air Supply

Okay this is actually a reader participation post. Mix Tape Girl uhm.."volunteered" me to DJ an anniversary party for some acquaintances. Said acquaintances are a bit older than the crowd I would normally DJ for. No biggie. It's going to be a night of oldies, disco and slow dances, I'm resigned to that, though I may sneak in a remix version of something between sets. Anyways.

Now I've been given a set list to play. Something along the lines of the following:

1. Somebody like you - Keith Urban
2. Laughter in the Rain - Neil Sedaka
3. Dancing in the moonlight - King Harvest
4. Everyday - James Taylor
5. Because you loved me - Celine Dion
6. Like a star - Corinne Bailey Rae
7. Somewhere over the rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
8. Come away with me - Norah Jones
9. Dance party favorites Cha Cha Slide - Mr. C
10. Outstanding - The Gap Band
11. Good times - Chic
12. Electric slide
13. This will be an everlasting love - Natalie Cole
14. Love train - The O'Jays
15. Giving you the best that I got - Anita Baker
16. Stand by me - Ben E. King
17. The first time ever I saw your face - Roberta Flack
18. Fields of gold - Sting
19. You are the sunshine of my life - Stevie Wonder
20. Don't it make my brown eyes blue - Crystal Gayle
21. I'll be around - The Spinners
22. Danny's song - Anne Murray
23. The way you look tonight - Frank Sinatra
24. Let's get loud - Jennifer Lopez
25. No one - Alicia Keys
26. Quando, quando, quando - Michael Buble
27. Save the last dance for me - Michael Buble
28. Boogie oogie oogie - A Taste of Honey
29. The power of love - Huey Lewis & the News

And the rest of the 4 + hours I have to devise myself. When asked how long to play I received the vauge answer from 7:45 to maybe...midnight? Which left my mouth quite opened. Anways the debate MTG and I are having is that she thinks that I should include some Air Supply. I think that I shouldn't. I'm vaugley acquainted with these people and even though their cool, I don't know if their Air Supply folks. But MTG say yes, I say no. So I'm asking you bloggie people. What do you think? Yes or no? No is fine but if Yes, can you give some hints of your favourite Air Supply songs that might be good for an anniversary party.

A bet is riding on this so don't let me down.

6 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

How about Makin' Love out of Nothing at all? No...too cynical.

Actually, Air Supply is kind of angsty for an anniversary party. They might be more appropriate for a divorce party.

Jenna said...

I want to thank you two. After reading this post, I went to Rhapsody and listened to a handful of AS's greatest hits. I'm laughing so hard right now I can't even tell you. I feel like I'm 5 years old again and sitting next to my parent's 8 track. This is gold. I can't tell you whether or not you should play any though. I'll have to listen to them some more. Hee.

Artful Dodger said...

Flannery: I concur. I'm more apt to play Air Supply at just a regular gig but my radar here is saying no.

Gizmo: Glad to make you laugh. MTG is playing Air Supply right now trying to prove her point. Thus far I think I'm winning.

Jenna said...

MTG, I love you and all, but I'm sorry to say that Air Supply sucks. As amusing as they are to me for the memories they bring back, they're pretty much complete crap. And while the rest of the playlist isn't really all that great either, I have to side with AD on this one and say "Negatory, ghostrider" on the Supply.

King Harvest said...

Thanks for including Dancing in the Moonlight!

Sports Chump said...

I feel ya' on the Air Supply, although, here's a story about how a little Air Supply can really make an evening.

http://sportschump.net/2010/01/05/a-texting-fiesta-starring-boise-state-john-cena-and-air-supply/2636/