Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Like an MC at a Fever in the DJ Booth

And so it is. Air Supply was not played at the party. But MTG had a great time anyways, even though it wasn't a party for us.

The funny thing is I prepared the list including all the songs that were on the preset list. And as I was playing the preset list this happened. One of the guests, a little old lady, (I just don't say that, I mean she was old and little and frail) came up to me while I was playing the pre-chosen song "Because you loved me" by Celine Dion (I playing this song reminding myself that this is what is wanted by the host) and said matter of factly, "This song sucks. Look you've cleared out the dance floor! Play something we can dance to."

I couldn't help but smile, I wanted to hug her. But I had to inform her that this was the set list that was chosen and it was not exactly up to me to not play these songs. Besides at that point they were cutting cake and no one was dancing anyways. But a few moments after this older lady tells me this, the husband of the couple who's anniversary it was comes up to me.

Him: Hey can we kick it up a notch. Who choose this music?

AD: Your daughter did. And heck yeah I can get this place moving.

He looked at the list and asides from a few songs to keep, he pretty much gave me free control. In no time at all I had electric slides, soul trains, twists, salsas, merengues, and everything else going. Everyone was sweaty and having fun.

Sadly I didn't get to dance but to all but two songs with MTG. My setup was less then stellar. I actually got there early but the person who had the keys to the club house was no where to be found. And when I did get there, about 30 mins till starting time, I was aghast to find that there was no where for me to set up or a table to put my stuff on like I was told there would be. So basically I set up my speakers at the far end of the dance floor, plugged in my amps and mixers and everything else; set it around a lone chair I was able to steal from a back room, and played the music from my laptop that literally had to sit on my lap almost the entire time.

And funnier is that there was nothing to drink but water and tea, so MTG brought two bottles of wine and left them in the car and snuck out every now and again to get us some drinks. Felt like we were in school. But I'm glad everyone had a good time.

No comments: