Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Freaky Dreams

I'm driving down the highway, headed home from a long day at work. My new mix I just made the night before is playing in the CD player. I've been addicted lately to David Bowie's "Life on Mars?". I'm singing along to the song.

It's a God awful small affair To the girl with the mousey hair But her mummy is yelling, "No!"And her daddy has told her to go But her friend is no where to be seen Now she walks through her sunken dream To the seats with the clearest view And she's hooked to the silver screen But the film is sadd'ning bore For she's lived it ten times or more She could spit in the eyes of fools As they ask her to focus on

Sailors Fighting in the dance hall
Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy Oh man!
Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?

The drive seems uneventful, I'm about 10 minutes away from home. Suddenly time slows down. I'm going 70 but I'm stuck in a time warp. My windows are rolled down and I can feel the rush of wind from the cars across my arm and face and they pass by.

Looking straight forward I see a car veer into another lane hitting another car and another. They all slam into the baracade just over an overpass. Red lights start flashing infornt of me and cars begin to stop and end up slamming into each other. Then my time warp ends, I'm going 70 + mph into a mess of jumbled cars and metal. I can't stop, my brakes don't work.

But I'm not scared. I see what's coming, I'm prepared. I hit it dead on. I hear metal crushing around me, glass shattering, dreadful awful noises all around me. Then the darkness and quiet. I feel like I'm floating suddenly in a void of darkness. No light around me, but it's peaceful. Did I die? What the hell? I'm still not scared just impatient. Damn it what's going on?

Then I hear a voice. A strong voice. "Get up!! Get up, Damn you!! It's not time!! It's not time to die! You've got a hell of a lot of work to do before then! Get up!!" I see myself laying face down on the ground, my eyes opened. I feel warm blood coming out of my mouth, but there's no air in my lungs. I'm alive I'm messed up bad. I can't remember how to breathe. I can't remember, so I decide to cough, cough long and hard coughs. The blood making awful gargling sounds as it comes out of my lungs. I push myself upwards on my arms. There's no pain but I have blood everywhere. I hear the voice again, "Get up!! Stand up!! Shake it off!!" I make it to my feet dazed but ok. Not shock no nothing. I just look at the mess and walk away.

Then I wake up. It's 3 am. Still a few hours before work. Weird dream, did I stop breathing or something during my dream? Who knows. Then the song plays again in my head:

Sailors Fighting in the dance hall
Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy Oh man!
Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?

Hell of a way to wake up. It's the freakiest show.

No comments: