Thursday, May 03, 2007

Midnight Confessions

My desktop computer broke. Something happened to it. All my records stored on the hard drive and it won't even start anymore. Blast it. It must be the hard drive itself cause the wretched thing turns on but doesn't boot Window's to completion. It just gets stuck. Oh well. It's time for a new PC anyways, maybe a Mac this time around. At least I have my handy dandy laptop, though I can't burn mix CD's off it. :(

So I ended up at Mix Tape Girls house tonight. We watched The Wild One together. One of my favorite Brando movies. It's very balmy down here in south TX right now. The humidity is as high as the actual air temperature. The moment you step outside or some place with out air conditioning you feel drenched in moister. Like someone is taking a hose to you. For me I hate it. Talk about a bad hair day. At least on the beach you have a breeze but here the air is stagnant.

We finished watching the movie.

MTG: I'm a bit hungry. You?

AD: I'm ok. But do you want to go get something?

MTG: If you would take me, I'd like to.

AD: Ok let's go.

MTG runs to her room and quickly grabs a mix CD she made today.

MTG: I want to hear this in your car.

AD: Ok...

AD: So where do you want to go?

MTG: I dunno. No where around here. I don't feel like regular fast food. No burgers or tacos or junk. I dunno, I just need something.

AD: So do you want to just drive around till you figure it out?

MTG: Yes, please.

AD: Alright

We take off in the car. Despite the heat and humidity its a great night to drive with the windows down. MTG puts in her CD. I get the feeling she just wanted to get out of the house so I just drive on meandering the streets.

The first song comes on.

1. Ain't No Sunshine: Bill Withers

I haven't heard this song in ages. It's definitely on my top 10 all time favorites list. Bill's deep and mild voice sets the tone for our drive. The melody fills the car and mix tape girl smiles at me and reclines back a little. For some reason I'm thinking American Graffiti the way we're just driving around.

2. Midnight Confessions: The Grassroots

"The sound of your foot steps, telling me that you're near". Yeah I love that part. MTG sings along to it, and I nod my head.

3. "Pres se toi" - Andrea Lindsay

It's french its beautiful, nuff said.

4. "Because the Night" - 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged

I remember watching them play on unplugged. I thought they were one of the best if not the best unplugged performances ever done by MTV. I could be wrong.

5. Here I Am (Come and Take Me) - Al Green

MTG: I feel like some waffles.

AD: I heard about a new chicken and waffles place that opened up. Want to go check it out.

MTG: Yeah.

The new chicken and waffles place is a new thing in town. We've never had one before. I've lived in some cities with them. I loved them, my favorite places to go. It's way on the opposite end of town though, and I'm driving dead on south. But there's no rush, I'll just cut from the south side to the east side through the back way. I've lived all over town so I know how to get there.

6. Diary - Alicia Keys

If you ever have a chance to she her in concert, do go please!! I kid you not she is much better live in concert than on record. I don't know how she does it, but she puts on one heck of a show and the music even sounds better. She's amazing one of my favorite female artists. The sub-wolfer in the trunk loves the bass of the song. I have it up a little less than midway just enough to feel and hear in the car with the volume up, but not to disturb the music and just be noise.

7. It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork

We laugh when this one comes on. I can only think of the video when Bjork is dancing around in that odd little dress of hers. Very funny.

8. No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley and The Wailers

I love Bob Marley. As this song comes on we start to enter the south side. My old neighborhood. Nothings really changed much, a few new stores here and there but all in all it's the same. The air smells a little different down here. Lots of BBQ smoke in the air. I start to get hungry.

9. The 1812 - Bond

Bond is a all female classical group. Four main girls playing the violin, cello, something else. Anyways is a take on Tchaikovsky, I love their remake. I think of V for Vendetta when he blows up Parliment. That was a cool movie.

10. Swallowed in the Sea - Coldplay

MTG: You know, whenever I come to this side of town alone, I'm always scared. It's that prejudice, I feel so bad saying that. But I'm scared to come here alone.

AD: Yeah in a sense it is. But then again you've never lived anywhere other than the north side so you've been pretty much sheltered your whole life.

I know these streets very well. I lived all over this town and many others. To me there is nothing wrong with them. I know my way around and don't look like I'm lost. That's the trick act like you know what you're doing and have a purpose and you'll just go with the flow.

MTG: I feel safe though being with you down here.

I dunno what to say. I just know she took my hand and is singing to the music.

11. I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)

I'll forever remember this for being on the Mix CD she made me a few months back.

12. God Only Knows - The Beach Boys

I remember this song because my dad always sings it when he plays their greatest hits CD's. Usually when he's ironing his shirts. Volume loud, he's in his bliss.

13. Sweet Surrender - Sarah McLachlan

I love Sarah. I remember hearing this song back when I was in the 11th grade. I fell in love with Sarah and have been ever since. That album got me through a tough year.

14. In My Life - The Beatles

Nuff said. Though it makes me think of a mix I had put this on a number of years ago. Of a former ex and a road trip we took, and the late night drive back home, and a thought of what could've been if only one thing had changed. But that's ancient history.

15. See the Sun & Bonus track - Dido

I love Dido. She's in my top 10 lists of female artists as well. This is the last track as it's over ten minutes long so it took up a lot of space on the disc. But it's ok. I love this song. Again it reminds me of another road trip and having a friend cry on me cause the song got to them. It was ok, a whole day of wine tasting will do that to you. But it's the bonus song that I love the most from the whole album. It doesn't have a name as far as I can tell. But it's beautiful. It makes me get a lump in my throat every time I hear it. MTG knows this and purposely puts it on there. If you have never heard that song you have to listen to it. Borrow it if you don't have it and just listen till the very end. You have to wait almost 3 minutes after the last song to get to it but it's worth the wait. I won't tell you about it if you haven't heard it. That way you can say it's a gem you discovered yourself.

We get the the restaurant. Fortunately it's still open. We eat and talk and laugh. I tell her I'll make her another mix as soon as I fix my desktop. She beams with delight. She's been a little down lately so I do all I can to keep her smiling and laughing. We re-listen to the CD on the way back to her house. I drop her off and she takes the CD with her. That was a good mix I think to myself. It hit the spot.

No comments: